Is it possible to study in the UK without the IELTS exam? Yes, you can study in the United Kingdom without taking the IELTS if you apply to universities that have alternative requirements, such as proof of a grade of 60 percent or higher in English in grades XI and XII, an undergraduate degree in English, or a pre-sessional language course for international students. The University of Central Lancashire, University of Greenwich, Swansea University, University of Northampton, University of Plymouth, Portsmouth University, and Northumbria University are some of the top UK universities which do not need IELTS.
This Blog Includes
How Is It Possible to Study in The UK Without IELTS?
It is a general question that comes to everybody’s mind when it is about completing high education from one of the reputable universities in the UK. But here is the answer to all such queries. The applied candidates must be fluent in English and have an English Language proficiency certificate from their previous university.
What is IELTS?
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a harmonized language assessment examination used by institutions around the world to evaluate the language skills of potential international students. There are four sections to this test: reading, writing, listening and speaking. Students will receive an overall score for all of their basic English language skills after completing the three-hour test. Exams like these are used in English-speaking countries like the UK to check your language skills. This isn’t always the case, though. You can also study in the UK without the IELTS exam. Continue reading to learn more about it.
Amongst the UK’s vast range of highly ranked and globally acclaimed universities, many universities provide admission to foreign students without the compulsion of IELTS.
Top UK Universities without IELTS
- The University of Essex
- University of Central Lancashire
- The University of Greenwich
- Swansea University
- University of Northampton
- University of Plymouth
- Portsmouth University
- Northumbria University
- Robert Gordon University
- University of Bolton
- London South Bank University
- University of Geneva
- Riga Technical University
- Audencia Nantes School of Management
- University of Bristol
- Birmingham City University
- University of Basel
- University of Warwick
- Sheffield Hallam University
- Aston University
- Bangor University
- Brunel University
UK Study Visa without IELTS 2022
Can I get a UK student visa without IELTS? Yes, it is possible to get a UK study visa without IELTS only if you can provide the immigration authorities with a document from the university you have admitted that you are eligible for a study visa without IELTS. Here are the key requirements for a UK study visa without IELTS:
- A document attested by your university with the statement that you can apply for a UK study visa without IELTS scores
- Acceptance letter from a university in the UK
- Aspirants can also appear for the Secure English Language Test (SELT) mandated by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) as valid proof of English proficiency without IELTS.
How to Study in the UK without IELTS?
IELTS is not the only way that a university can examine the English proficiency of applicants. If you haven’t given the IELTS exam, there are some alternatives provided by universities in the UK. Let’s look at the substituting criteria of IELTS offered by UK universities:
- Online interview: Some universities may ask you to appear for an online interview to assess your English proficiency.
- English marks obtained in high school: If you have scored more than 70% in English in your high school, then some universities will consider your high school marks rather than IELTS. However, universities have set their requirements for different courses.
- English major: If you studied English as a major specialization while pursuing your undergraduate degree, then you do not need to appear for IELTS.
- Pre-sessional English Course: As elaborated above, some universities offer pre-sessional English courses for those who plan to study in the UK without giving IELTS and thus can opt for these courses once they get accepted for their chosen degree or diploma program.
To study abroad, especially in an English-speaking country, submission of English proficiency test scores such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc. plays a crucial role in the application procedure. Similarly, to study in the UK, IELTS is generally needed by many academic institutions but there is another way to get admission into an English university without providing these scores.
Yes, it is possible to study in the UK without IELTS through the following requirements:
- Proof of over 70% in English in High School/Class XI and Class XII or transcript of a short term English course
- Proof that English is the medium of instruction in your school
- Take an Online Interview conducted by the university
- An undergraduate degree in English
- Pursue a Pre-sessional English course offered by the university before starting your program in the UK
UK Universities Without IELTS Explained!
Now, let’s explore some of these major universities in the UK that offer admission without IELTS in further detail.
University of Essex
The University of Essex is a leading UK university with over 15,000 students from nearly 130 nations. With one of the most internationally diverse student bodies in the UK and a long-standing reputation for striving for social change, it was named the University of the Year by the Times Higher Education Awards in 2018. One of the major reasons for the popularity of Essex is its easy application process. Do you know they offer an option to study in the UK without IELTS? IELTS is a part of the English language requirements but students don’t need to undergo this examination. There are other ways to complete your application and be an equal part of the university.
If you do not meet the IELTS requirements then you may be able to take a pre-sessional English pathway that enables you to meet our English language requirements without retaking IELTS. These courses are delivered by the University of Essex International College for both UG and PG applicants. Popular courses to study at Essex are:
- BA Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a minor in Economics
- BSC Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience
- BSc in Cognitive Science
- Integrated Masters in Science Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience
- Integrated Masters in Science Psychology with Advanced Research Methods
- Psychology Master’s Degree
- MSC Research Methods in Psychology
- Sport and Exercise Psychology Master’s Degree
- MSc in Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuropsychology
London Southbank University
London Southbank University is one of the preferred ones for those planning to study in the UK. The university takes students based on merit, i.e. based on their score in XII standard or marks obtained in the undergraduate degree. Further, if you don’t have IELTS scores, then you can take up pre-study English courses at the university and get admission into your chosen course alongside. For studying in the UK without IELTS, London Southbank University is the right choice as it offers a plethora of courses in various streams such as humanities, arts, science, business, and management. Below are the major courses you can pursue at London Southbank University:
- BSc in Vehicle Engineering
- BA in Animation
- BSc in Baking Science and Technology
- Business Foundation Course
- Business Law LLB
University of Bristol
The University of Bristol was founded in 1595 and is one of the well-known universities in the UK providing direct admission through Universities and Colleges Admission Services for undergraduate courses (UCAS). Amongst the major universities to study in the UK without IELTS, it provides part-time and full-time courses in various streams. The major courses offered by the University of Bristol are:
- BSc in Accounting and Finance
- BEng. in Aerospace
- BA in Anthropology
- BA in History
- BSc in Biochemistry
To get admission into the University of Bristol without IELTS, there are different programs you can choose from which don’t necessarily require language proficiency scores. Further, students can also take up a pre-sessional language course or pursue an English language certification in their country given the certification has been approved by the University of Bristol.
Sheffield Hallam University
One of the UK’s top universities, Sheffield Hallam University is located in South Yorkshire. The university provides a vast number of full-time and part-time courses in various fields. Here are the major specializations offered by Sheffield Hallam University:
- Accounting and Economics
- Accounting and Finance
- Applied Social Sciences
- Business Analytics
To study in the UK without IELTS at Sheffield Hallam University, you can take up an English Language course at the university’s TESOL center where you will be prepared to reach the required score necessary for language proficiency.
Robert Gordon University
Amongst the leading universities in Aberdeen, Robert Gordon University was founded in 1992 and is globally renowned for courses in Technology, Architecture, and Engineering. It is amongst the major institutions to study in the UK without IELTS as it provides applicants with the opportunity to enter an 8-week pre-sessional English program to boost their language proficiency. Offering a wide range of courses in almost every field of study, some of the prominent disciplines provided by the university are:
- Life Sciences
- Social Work and Law
- Business Administration
- Social Sciences
Robert Gordon University also conducts its own RGU English Proficiency Test for those wanting to study in the UK without IELTS at this institution. This test can be taken in your home country or you can appear for the exam at the university itself before beginning your program.
University of Warwick
Situated on the outskirts of Coventry, the University of Warwick came into being in the year 1965 and has been consistently ranked amongst the world’s greatest universities. Home to three main faculties of Arts, Social Sciences as well as Science, Technology, Engineering, and Medicine, it provides an array of programs in different disciplines of study including,
- Literary Studies
- Economics, amongst others.
The University of Warwick also provides pre-sessional English courses for those wanting to study in the UK without IELTS. By taking a course like this, you can prove your English language proficiency and then continue pursuing the program you have chosen to study.