Student visas are currently more in demand than ever because of the more than a billion international students around the world. Young students all across the world find the concept of finishing a study program or spending a semester abroad to be quite intriguing. But everyone who wants to study abroad needs to understand how to apply for a student visa.
What Is a Student Visa?
You need a student visa in order to enroll in a study program outside of your home country. In order to be eligible for a student visa, you must already have been accepted by a university or other educational institution. Student visas are often given out for brief periods of time.
Visas to Most Popular Study Destinations
These are the student visas for some of the most popular student destinations:
- US student visa. The US student visa is also known as an F1 student visa, and it’s valid for one year. If your study program lasts longer, you must renew your F1 visa. To qualify for this type of visa, you must first be registered with the Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). There are also some other types of visas which students can apply for in the United States.
- UK student visa. To qualify for a UK student visa, your study program must meet the course requirements depending on whether you are a full-time or a part-time student. You must also provide evidence of language proficiency.
- Australian student visa. Australia issues a student visa (subclass 500) for five years. You must be a student in an Australian institution and provide a language certificate to get this visa.
- Germany student visa. A student visa for Germany can be valid for three or six months, depending on your study plans. Usually, if you have a long-term student visa after entering the country, you can apply for a temporary student residence permit and no longer need a visa.
- Canadian student visa. The Canadian student visa is valid for the length of your study course plus an extra 90 days, which allow you to get your affairs in order before going back home. To qualify for this visa, you need to be enrolled in a Canadian institution and meet the financial requirements for a student visa.
How Can I Obtain a Student Visa?
The following is the application procedure for a student visa:
- Apply for a study program.
- Make an appointment at the embassy or consulate.
- Gather your documents.
- Submit the visa payment.
- Attend your student visa interview.
You must be registered in an authorized study program in a foreign nation in order to be qualified for a student visa. Therefore, you must submit an application for the study program of your choosing before you can apply for a visa.
Apply for a Study Program
You must locate a local embassy or consulate in your country and schedule an appointment for your visa interview as soon as you have been accepted to a study program. Please be aware that an embassy and a consulate are two different organizations, and that you might need to submit your application to the visa office of a neighboring nation if neither can be found in your home country.
Gather Your Documents
You must prepare the necessary documentation before submitting your application. Make sure you take your passport photos, make photocopies of any necessary documents, and get them authenticated with an apostille stamp. Additionally, confirm with the visa office which documents would need to be translated so you can prepare them.
Submit the Visa Payment
The visa application fee must be paid on time. Make sure you double-check with the appropriate authorities. Some visa offices may require you to complete that before you attend your visa appointment, while others may ask you to complete that on the same day.
Attend your interview for a student visa.
Finally, all you need to do is show up on time for the visa interview. If you forget the day or time, it can be difficult for you to reschedule before the semester begins.
Visa requirements for students
The following paperwork is required for your student visa application:
- Passport (with six-month validity). Your passport must be valid for at least six months when you apply for your visa. If your travel document is about to expire soon, you should apply for a new passport.
- Student visa application form. You need to fill out the student visa application form with your details— you can usually find the form at the embassy/consulate.
- Passport pictures. You must also submit a few passport pictures that you took recently— the number of pictures required changes from country to country.
- Proof of admission. Submit your admission letter or enrollment records to show that you have been accepted to a study program in your destination country.
- Evidence of financial means. You must prove that you can financially support yourself during your study program. If your family supports you, provide financial statements from your family members. If you have a scholarship, you need to attach proof that you are a financial aid recipient.
- Civil documents. You must submit your birth certificate, marriage certificate (if you are married), and your CV.
- International student health insurance. Depending on the country that you want to study in, you might be required to purchase a health insurance plan, that covers the entire period of your studies.
- Previous university records. If you attended a university prior to applying for your foreign study program, you must submit your university records for the student visa application.
What Is the Duration of a Student Visa?
Your educational program is covered by the period of your student visa. Therefore, your visa will be given for the same length of time if you plan to study abroad for two years. Most student visas are granted for a period of two to four years.
How Long Does it Take to Get a Student Visa?
Your student visa application must be processed for several months. Depending on how thorough your application is and how many people have applied for student visas, certain nations may complete the process more quickly than others.
Fees for student visas
Prices for student visas can range from $160 to $600, including service charges and other costs. The cost of a student visa varies depending on the country where you intend to study; in some cases, there is no cost at all.To find out the cost, get in touch with the embassy or consulate.
Can a student visa be extended?
If you fall behind in your studies, certain nations might let you extend your student visa. However, each country has a different policy regarding visa extensions, so you should check with your school provider and the embassy.
Can I Travel with My Family on a Student Visa?
You can, but typically you’re only allowed to bring your partner/spouse and young children. Please keep in mind that your family members will also require visa applications.
Common grounds for denying student visas
Your student visa can be denied for the following reasons:
- You submitted an incomplete visa application.
- You have no proof of financial support.
- You have a criminal record.
- Your passport is not valid for the student visa.
- You are not enrolled in an educational institution.
If my student visa is denied, what should I do?
You must reapply for your student visa. Make sure you are aware of and have addressed the grounds for your original denial before submitting another application. However, you should also be aware that if your student visa is denied, you will miss the cutoff date for entering the nation for your study program.
You could perhaps lose your place in the program if this happens. Now that you are experiencing problems with your student visa, you must get in touch with the admissions office to see whether they may grant you an extension.