In this article, you will get a deep understanding of How to Win a Chevening Scholarship UK application form step by step. Chevening is the UK government’s international awards scheme with the vision of developing global leaders, offering two opportunities; Chevening Scholarships and Chevening Fellowships throughout the world. You need to be familiar with the 7 Easy Ways to Win Chevening Scholarship Award.
Last year, 1800 Chevening Scholarships were awarded to students from all across the world. Due to the COVID-19, Chevening removed the English Language Requirement such as IELTS or TOEFL last year. We don’t know what they’ll do this year. Chevening Scholarships are available to students from any countries. There are no country limitations. The application deadline will be the same for all nations.
The Scholarship will cover your lodging, tuition, fees, airline tickets, books, stipend, and visa costs, among other expenses. So don’t worry, you won’t have to spend a dime. However, in order to be selected for the Chevening scholarship for the year 2022, you must devote the majority of your time to this endeavor. We will walk you through the entire process, including standards, Chevening scholarship hacks, and what makes you a Chevening scholarship winner.
This Blog Includes
How You Can Win a Chevening Scholarship?
How to Win a Chevening Scholarship Interview?
During the interview, you will have approximately one hour to persuade a panel that you are deserving of this wonderful chance. Here are some general guidelines to keep in mind.
If you are shortlisted for a Chevening Scholarship interview, you will be invited to attend an interview in the city or town where the British embassy or high commission has a presence.
Schedule a Morning Slot
If you are chosen for a Chevening Interview for the scholarship, you can schedule an interview time window.
Make every effort to arrange a morning slot. According to studies, teachers, judges, and interviewers are tougher when they are fatigued.
Imagine having to interview 5 to 6 individuals every day for 15 days. You’d be sick of it by the end. So, catch the panel first thing in the morning, when they’re in their best mood.
Maintain Consistency in Your Essays
The panel will spend the majority of the interview asking for additional information to clarify the points you make in your essays. You should be quite familiar with your essays.
You should delve deeply into what you wrote, dissecting not only your experience, but also your rationale and motive (why and how you did specific things), passion, and aspirations (what drives you forward). The panel will not necessary ask you to repeat what you’ve previously written, but rather dig deeper to grasp your genuine motivation.
It is critical to maintain consistency throughout your essay (especially when discussing your passion and motivation), as this conveys confidence and honesty.
Examples of Chevening Interview Questions
- Why do I want to study in the UK?
- Why am I interested in Chevening?
- Why I chose my course of study?
- Why do I consider myself a leader?
- My Short term and long term professional goals (especially linking it to what the UK is doing in my country).
- How will my country benefit from my experience and expertise in the future?
There are a total of 4 essays, each essay should be comprised of 500 words;
1st essay is about candidates networking skills
- A candidate should mention his networking and personal relations at the national as well as international levels.
- He should talk about how he deals with the people in a variety of professions including government and international representatives, public authorities, and academia.
- He should mention how he has been familiar with a different culture, age groups, socioeconomic classes.
- He should provide a brief description of how long he has been involved in long-term relationships.
- He should elaborate on his communication skills in different areas.
2nd essay would ask you about your leadership qualities
- A candidate should elaborate on the scenarios in which he played leadership roles.
- How he managed good team management skills in different projects.
- How he led community projects on a fixed budget.
- How he considered the opinion of every member and negotiate among them.
- How he worked with different personalities and led successful projects.
- How his leadership project contributed in the long term and brought a positive change in his community.
3rd Essay would ask you about future career plans
- A candidate should mention his career plans that show how he is going to support his community or country.
- All Goals should be smart enough and realistic.
- A candidate’s plans should include a social, academic, and professional approach.
- A candidate must relate his skills, volunteer activities, and work experience.
4th essay would be about why you want to pursue your studies in the UK
- The desire to study in the UK varies from person to person but reasons should be valid and appropriate.
- For one year masters, UK has good merit.
- The UK holds the world’s best leading universities.
- In academics, The UK is one of the top countries.
- A candidate should mention his interest in cross-cultural understanding.
- A candidate should show his interest in International research that would contribute to the community
- A candidate must submit 2 letters of reference.
- A referee must know the applicant either professionally or in academics.
- Reference letters would be verified by the British council once a candidate gets shortlisted.
I believe if you follow the above tips you can easily Standout your application. You can search more about How to Win a Chevening Scholarship, you will find more materials.
Application Tips for Chevening Scholarship
1. Think about your greatest accomplishment in your life to date.
This may represent a time when you had to endure to conquer a hurdle, or when you had to form new relationships to achieve something beneficial.
We propose focusing on an accomplishment that helped you build new abilities needed to attain your longer-term goals of bringing about good change in your native nation.
Make sure you can discuss it in full, including what you did, how you approached it, and the outcome.
2. Consider where you want to be in two, five, and ten years’ time.
Create a realistic plan for attaining your objectives in order to affect good change in your native nation. We understand that life does not always go as planned, but we want to know that you’ve given considerable thought to how you intend to make your aspirations a reality.
3.Create a clear picture of how a Chevening Scholarship could help you achieve your objectives.
What is your motivation for applying to Chevening? What could you accomplish by becoming a member of our worldwide community?
Don’t be afraid to fantasize. If you want to go to the top school in the UK and make a difference in your life and the lives of others around you, go for it!
4. Select your referees with caution.
Many applicants select one academic and one professional reference, but providing two professional references is acceptable. When submitting your application, contact your referees since referral letters must be submitted before your interview date if you are selected for an interview.
5. Write your essay with conviction and consideration.
The essays you’ll be asked to write will be a critical component of your application. Consider what you want to say and have faith in yourself! How can you persuade the selection panel if you can’t persuade yourself of your reasoning in your essays?
Instead of expressing the obvious, investigate various potential angles on a topic for essays that stand out. For example, you could discuss your volunteer or leadership skills and how crucial it is to complete your studies. Draw on your own experiences where appropriate, but keep examples brief and allow the word limit to guide you to be concise. For post-study planning, it may be useful to refer to UK efforts in your home country that are relevant to your subject of study.
6. Pay attention to the timeline
Every year, the Foreign Commonwealth Office publishes a timeline for the selection process. Follow them on social media (@CheveningFCDO) to stay up to date on important information. Certain steps require you to be physically present (for example, an interview and a pre-departure briefing), so keep your travel arrangements in mind.
7. Research, research, and research
You can apply to three courses that are identical at different institutions or three different courses at the same university. Any recognized UK university and programme is acceptable, as long as it is a one-year taught postgraduate course leading to a Masters degree. You cannot change your mind later, so this is your one chance to select anything that corresponds to your development goals.
8. It’s not all about you.
Chevening wants you to apply your skills gained in the UK to benefit your home nation rather than just promote your own career.
Keep in mind that scholars represent Chevening and their home countries, so they are urged to think beyond themselves. As a result, we cannot seek to stay in the UK immediately after finishing our studies; instead, we must return home and work for at least two years.
9. Examine the eligibility criteria
It’s amazing how many people neglect this simple requirement. You must have at least two years of work experience and a bachelor’s degree equivalent to an upper second-class 2:1 honors degree in the United Kingdom.
Don’t forget to examine admission criteria when looking at courses and universities, as applying to all of them at the same time can save you time. It should be noted that some universities may charge non-refundable application fees.
- Check your Grammar and make Sure your Sentences make Sense. Double-check the spelling of words and Institution Names.
- Use ‘I’ instead of ‘we’ when discussing personal Achievements.
- Don’t use bullet points to outline job responsibilities or future plans in your answers. We want to know as much about your goals as possible, so write in full sentences and share your stories with us!
- Assessors know when answers are copied and pasted from a CV, personal statement or reference letter. Make sure you tailor your answers to the question.
- For your application to be deemed outstanding, make sure you clearly link your chosen course of study to your previous experiences and future vision.
- All Chevening Applicants need to demonstrate leadership, influencing, and relationship-building skills. You’ll also need to have a clear understanding of how studying with a UK university will help you achieve your career goals.