Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, GIST Scholarships For Graduate Students To Study In South Korea invites talented international students and researchers to apply for its scholarship program for the academic year 2022-2023. GIST Graduate Scholarships are granted to all admitted Korean and international graduate students. Candidates interested in receiving this scholarship should apply to and be admitted to one of the university’s graduate programs.
The scholarship is completely supported and available for study in a variety of university programs (science, engineering, and technology). Candidates can pursue a Master’s, PhD, or Integrated MS-PhD degree program. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for international students who want to study in South Korea.
The Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST), founded by the Korean government in 1993, is a research-oriented institution specializing in applied science and engineering. The institute is based in Gwangju, South Korea, and is one of the country’s major research institutions.
GIST Scholarships Program Details
- Host institution: The Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST), South Korea.
- Field of Studies: Available programs at the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, School of Materials Science and Engineering, School of Mechanical Engineering, School of Earth Sciences and Environmental Engineering, School of Life Science, Department of Physics and Photon Science, Department of Chemistry, Department of Biomedical Science and Engineering, School of Integrated Technology, Artificial Intelligence Graduate School.
- Number of Awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Master’s Program (4 semesters), Doctoral Program (6 semesters), or MS-PhD Program (10 semesters).
- Eligible countries: Open to All nationalities.
GIST Scholarships for Graduate Students Benefits
Selected candidates for the GIST scholarship will have the following benefits:
- Tuition fully supported (All students): 3,415,000 won per semester
- Monthly Stipends (All International Students)
- 140,000 won per month for M.S. students
- 295,000 won per month for Ph.D. students
- Meal allowance: nearly 100,000 won per month. Students should have completed at least 9 credits in the previous semester to benefit from a and b. A GPA of 3.0 or higher (out of 4.5) in the previous semester is required to benefit from c.
- International student allowance: 120,000 won per month. For candidates with a GPA of 3.0 or higher (out of 4.5) in the previous semester
- Research Assistantship (All students participating in research projects)
- 5,461,249 won per year of M.S.
- 12,513,688 won per year of PhD
- Housing (All Students)
- Health Insurance (All International Students):
- 60% of National Health Insurance is supported. Other options may exist.
- Annual medical checkup
- Flight Reimbursement (All Incoming International Students): Reimbursement for a one-way flight to Korea.
- The one-time matriculation fee of 680,000 won is charged to all newly admitted students to be enrolled. Some students may be exempt from this fee.
GIST Scholarships for Graduate Students Eligibility
To benefit from this university scholarship, applicants must get admitted to a graduate program at GIST. Therefore, applicants must:
- Meet admission requirements of their respective department;
- Master program applicants must be candidates who have a bachelor’s degree or will be awarded a bachelor’s degree by the first day of class or have an equivalent educational background;
- Ph.D. program applicants must be candidates who have a master’s degree or will be awarded a master’s degree by the first day of class or have an equivalent educational background;
- Meet the English language requirements (Minimum scores): 80 (TOEFL iBT), 550 (TOEFL PBT), 6.5 (Academic IELTS), 750 (TOEIC), 285 (NEW TEPS).
How to Apply for the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology Scholarship
All admitted graduate students at the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology are awarded GIST scholarships. Hence, interested applicants who would like to benefit from this opportunity to study in Asia must follow the steps below to get admitted and automatically benefit from GIST scholarships.
- Make sure you meet your program requirements
- Prepare all required documents
- Hit the apply button below to submit the online application.
- Upload all required documents to the online application platform.
- Online Application Form. Please click on the Apply button below to create an account and access the form.
- Certified Degree/Diploma and Transcripts: A certified copy of the official degree(s) of bachelor’s and master’s (for doctoral applicants) from the institution(s) attended or attending should be submitted. Certified documents with apostille attached (or Korean embassy certificate) are preferred;
- Two Letters of Recommendation: Recommendation letters will be received directly do recommenders. Each of the two recommenders will receive an automated email instructing them on how to proceed with their recommendation letters through an online process. Request your recommendation letters as early as possible and provide your recommender with adequate time to complete them before the submission deadline. Please note that recommendation letters should be received in the system by the document submission due date;
- Scanned copy of passport;
- English test report:
- Minimum scores: 80(TOEFL iBT), 550(TOEFL PBT), 6.5(Academic IELTS), 750(TOEIC), 285(NEW TEPS).
- Tests must be taken within two years before the deadline date.
- Only original copies will be accepted.
- For IELTS only, photocopies will be accepted.
- The Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology code for ETS is 0144.
- Conditional Admissions (Extended of Deadline for English Proficiency Test Score Report).
- A Letter of Recommendation for Matriculation Fee Waiver. A letter of recommendation for the Matriculation Fee waiver must be issued by the chair of your last home university or department on the prescribed form (click here to download the form). This form is only for those willing to apply for the Matriculation Fee exemption.
- Certificate of English Proficiency issued by your home university (If applicable). Please click here to download the form. For more details on application documents, please click on this link.
The deadline to submit applications for the Spring Semester (starting from March 2023) is . For more information on the GIST Scholarships for Graduate Students, please visit the official page.