Germany Permanent Residence

Germany Permanent Residence: Nearly half of the international student population remains in Germany for at least some time after completing their degree. However, students need to be familiar with the policies and visa rules under which they can work after study in Germany.

Germany Permanent Residence

It’s a rule of the German education system that once the German degree course or any other educational program is completed, the student’s residence permit automatically expires even if it was originally issued for a longer period of time. The candidate who wants to stay further in Germany has to apply again for the residence permit at the Foreigners’ Registration Office requesting an extension. This extension of the residence permit is, however, necessary if the pass-out student wants to search for job opportunities after study in Germany.

When to Apply For a Residence Permit

Students should apply before the residence permit for the duration of education in Germany expires. In such cases, the candidates generally apply for a German residence permit in their final year of education in Germany. With a German residence permit, candidates can now explore employment opportunities and career possibilities in the country. The student, however, has to prove his adequate German language skills, at least up to the B1 level of Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, financial stability, health insurance, and no involvement in any criminal activity to get the residence permit.

How to Get a Residence Permit after Studying in Germany

German university pass-outs can get a German residence permit after the completion of the study program via two proceedings. In the initial step, the student applies for a temporary residence permit. The validity of this temporary permit is usually 18 months. The 18 months start as soon as the student receives his/her last exam result. Once he gets the temporary permit the student is allowed to hunt job opportunities in any field that suitably supports his financial means during the after-study period in Germany. As soon as the student gets a job that can cover Germany stay expenses, the student can search for a better job corresponding to the educational/ professional qualification. This German residence permit is easily available for students pursuing teaching programs at any of the German universities. Candidates contact their local foreign nationals’ registration office to issue the German residence permit. Moreover, the students who succeed to get good jobs linked with their field of study can now apply for a German residence permit for work.

International Students Returning To Their Home Country

If for any reason the study abroad student has returned to his home country after completing his degree program from any German university, he/she has to apply again for a 6-month German visa. During this 6-month duration, the applicant or German university graduate is allowed to search for job opportunities. To get this 6-month German visa the candidate must hold a German university degree at the time of application. Moreover, the applicant must have enough finance to cover his stay period in Germany. It should be noted that even if the applicant succeeds to get a part-time job, he/she needs a residence permit.

The Graduate with Longer Residence Permit

The student who is eligible to apply for the work permit (not temporary) can now have two options:

-German Residence Permit
-EU Blue Card

Both these options have their advantages and restrictions. If the graduate is interested to live and work in another EU state, the EU Blue Card is beneficial. Students can take advice from academic consultants in this regard.

It is advisable to contact the foreign residents’ registration office to know about the documents you need to submit with your application.

The German residence permit or EU Blue Card is initially issued for a limited period. Graduates who wish to continue their German employment can extend their residence permits.

German Citizenship Guide 2022 for Pakistani Students

As early as two years after receiving your German or EU Blue Card residence permit, you can apply for a permanent residence permit (a residence permit without a time limit). Again, the applicant needs to have employment in Germany.

According to the Residence Act, Section 19, postgraduates or highly qualified persons like researchers, can get a residence and work permit without the consent of the German Federal Employment Agency.

Later, eligible graduates can get a settlement permit, i.e. indefinite allowance to remain in Germany, after just two years. However, if you meet all the requirements you can apply for citizenship after eight years of continuous stay in Germany. Generally, federal states include your time spent studying in Germany in these eight years. Students who marry a German national can also apply for citizenship through another process.

Leave a Comment

Join Our Telegram Channel