The Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office has launched a programme called Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023. (FCDO). It is an honourable chance for people who are intelligent and passionate. Candidates from the least developed and brittle states in the Commonwealth have a great opportunity to continue their education at prestigious UK universities all the way to the PhD level with the Commonwealth Scholarships 2023. It makes it possible for people to gain the necessary information, expertise, and skills to achieve the objectives of sustainable development. It encourages top-tier graduates to start quality-focused research. They will rise to prominence in their home states as researchers, decision-makers, or educators as a result.
Through a uniform non-discrimination policy, the 2022 Commonwealth scholarship seeks to encourage applicants from diverse cultural origins, races, and economic sectors. This fully-funded scholarship in the UK contributes to ensuring fruitful international cooperation and collaboration. Additionally, it enables applicants who would not normally be able to participate to do so through a merit-based system. Its goal is to promote research that will ultimately have a significant developmental impact while addressing the needs of Commonwealth states’ development. Individual teaching and research capabilities will also be enhanced by these prizes. The institutional potential of Commonwealth countries in the academic and other sectors will also be improved in this way. By attracting the interest of qualified international students, this will enhance higher education in the UK and research.
Six development-related themes are covered by the Commonwealth doctoral scholarship for international students: Adapting science and technology for development; Strengthening health systems and capacity; Promoting Global Prosperity; Strengthening International Peace, Security, and Governance; Strengthening Resilience and Response to Crises; Combined with Access, Inclusion, and Opportunity. This UK scholarship helps candidates further their educational pursuits and sharpen their talents, which will be an asset to their professional prospects. Additionally, individuals from various economic backgrounds will be able to raise the standing of their country abroad, particularly among the Commonwealth countries.
It offers a monthly stipend and other family allowances to the candidates as financial support while they study in the UK. Additionally, it offers hopefuls an opportunity to develop while conversing with the top mentors in the world. With an eye on goals for worldwide development, the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK seeks to offer such scholarships. By supporting future leaders and innovators and attracting the interest of qualified people, it aims to combine British national interest with sustainable development objectives. In especially for people from low- and middle-income nations, the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission follows rigorous standards to ensure equity, inclusion, meritocracy, and wide-ranging delivery access.
Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023:
- United Kingdom
- UK Universities
- The UK Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO)
- Post-Doctoral Programs
- The duration of the UK Commonwealth Scholarships for PhD students is 3 years.
The least developed and fragile nations, which are eligible for this scholarship include:
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- The Gambia
Benefits of the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023 in UK:
- It is a globally extensive scholarship program catering to multiple development themes.
- It provides complete financial assistance to those who cannot otherwise afford to study in the UK.
- It provides approved airfare from the home country to the UK and then the UK to the hometown after the award.
- It provides approved tuition fees and a stipend of £1,133 monthly or £1,390 monthly.
- It facilitates students with warm clothing allowance if required.
- It provides students with study travel grants within or outside the UK.
- It provides a paid-midterm visit to the home country, family allowances, and a spouse allowance of £244 monthly (in case of no children).
- If a child and spouse accompany a candidate, it provides a spouse allowance of £244 and a child allowance of £120 monthly.
- If the candidate is accompanied by children but no spouse, £485 allowance is given monthly for the first child; £120 allowance is given monthly for both the second and third child.
Eligibility Criteria of Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023:
- An applicant must be a British-protected person.
- An applicant must be a native or a refugee of eligible Commonwealth countries.
- An applicant must be a permanent resident of eligible Commonwealth countries.
- An applicant must be available for study in the UK by the beginning of the UK academic calendar, i.e., September 2022.
- A candidate must possess a first degree of at least upper second class honors standard, or a second class degree and a Master’s degree by September 2022. If an applicant is applying for a second UK Master’s degree, he must provide a reasonable justification because CSC does not fund such degrees.
- A candidate must not be registered for an MPhil or Ph.D. degree at UK University or any other native university before September/October 2022.
- An applicant must provide evidence that he might not otherwise afford to study in the UK.
- An applicant must have provided all the necessary documents in the required format.
- If a candidate is declared disabled, additional financial support will be provided after a thorough assessment.
How to Apply for the Commonwealth Scholarships 2023 in the UK?
- The candidates have to apply from any one of the given nominating bodies i.e. National Nominating Agencies or Non-Governmental Organizations, and Charitable Bodies.
- CSC does not accept direct applications which have not followed the above-mentioned routes.
- The candidates must keep in mind that every nominating body has different eligibility criteria, so they must check the eligibility requirement of their nominating body as well. The candidates have to apply through CSC online application system.
- The CSC application and applications required by the nominating bodies are different and the candidates have to apply for both.
- The applicants have to apply online through the CSC’s online application system.
- Provide all your standard personal information, e.g., name, address, date of birth, etc.
- Complete all the required fields for the Ph.D. program.
- The candidates have to list three universities and supervisors that will be needed at the time of selection.
- The candidates have to provide up to 10 publications and prizes and a personal summary of 300 words maximum to apply successfully.
- The candidate must upload their relevant undergraduate or post-graduate qualification degrees.
- The candidate has to provide detailed employment history, and each employee must be described in a maximum of 100 words.
- The candidate must provide three references. One of them must be a current employer.
- Candidate must provide a development Impact Assessment which answers:
- How the scholarships help create a non-discriminatory platform towards educational development (up to 200 words).
- How it will help you acquire new skills in your profile at the end of the tenure(up to 100 words)
- Outline how the development will be progressed through such Scholarships (up to 350 words).
- What should be the key indicators of work assessment? (up to 100 words).
- The candidate must mention his role, which demonstrates his leadership abilities (up to 500 words).
- Complete your application carefully and submit it.
Selection Criteria of the UK Commonwealth Scholarship 2023:
An applicant will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Academic merit
- Quality of the study plan
- Prospective Effect on the development of the home country
Documents Required for the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate degrees
- Up to 10 publications and prizes
- Statement of relevance on employment (up to 300 words)
- A Letter of reference.
- Scanned copy of passport or national identity card.
- The application deadline for the Commonwealth Scholarships 2022 in the UK is 18 October 2022.