The Abel Visiting Scholar Program is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for developing-world researchers to visit a worldwide research colleague for a month on a fully financed basis. This fully supported research program welcomes the most talented and bright minds to advance their research skills while collaborating with international mentors and world-renowned experts. This one-month research experience allows researchers from disadvantaged nations to think outside the box and apply various strategies to produce astonishing research results.
The Abel Visiting Scholarship Program for international scholars is supported by the Abel Prize in Mathematics and is administered by the International Mathematical Union’s Commission for Developing Countries. Scholars are given the opportunity to pursue their post-doctoral research in an international arena three times a year through this fully financed program because three scholarships are often available for up to a year. Competent scholars can apply three times in the same year to be considered for this fully funded opportunity for one month through the Abel Prize Scholars program.
The research scholarship program is intended for post-doctoral mathematicians who are just starting out in their careers. The program is designed to give participants the opportunity to take a “research sabbatical.” This research sabbatical is an essential supplement to teaching and other academic responsibilities for mathematicians who want to maintain a viable research program. Because of a paucity of funding in this sector, the chance is one of the most awaited and prestigious for scholars.
The Commission for Developing Countries, in partnership with the International Mathematical Union, is dedicated to overcoming the financial support gap that mathematics scholars face in the research field. The CDC believes that the developing world has great resources in the subject of mathematics that should be utilized. To carry out the purpose, an annual grant is offered in the form of scholarships for mathematicians, allowing mathematicians to conduct research overseas for free. The mathematicians of the world will also form an international network through this fully supported Post-Doc research program, which would be hardly impossible otherwise. As a result, this ideal and exceptional international possibility should not be overlooked.
Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2023-24:
- Abel Prize
- The Commission for Developing Countries of the International Mathematical Union
Benefits of the Abel Visiting Scholar Program:
- An economy class return ticket will be provided.
- All the local transport costs from home to the airport and from the airport to the research site will be reimbursed after providing the receipts.
- The Visa fee will be covered.
- The fellow’s health insurance will be covered.
- A monthly stipend will be given to cover the living cost in the host country. The stipend will vary from country to country or place to place according to the current living cost rate.
- All the fellow mathematicians will be given free accommodation for the period of one month.
- All the above-mentioned payments will be given in two installments which are 50% before departure and the remaining 50% after the visit.
Eligibility Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2023-24:
- The candidate must be based in a developing country at the time of application.
- The candidate must be a PHD at the time of application submission.
- The candidate must be a position holder in a university or in a research institution.
- The candidates must not be full-time professionals; however, they must be working on a contract in any university or college.
- The candidates must be early professionals and not more than 35 years of age at the deadline date for application.
- The candidates can have up to 3 years of age relaxation if they have a broken career pattern. However, the candidates must be able to provide proof of a broken career.
- The applicant must already have initiated research contact with the proposed international research partners.
- Women mathematicians are highly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply for the Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2023-24?
- Each candidate has to submit the application via the online application portal.
- The candidates have to explain their research proposals in their application.
- The candidates are asked to provide a list of the researchers with whom they want to collaborate.
- The candidates have to provide a statement about the current employment status or position in the home institution which must be signed and stamped by the employer. The statement must be in the required format. The template for the statement is given.
- The candidates have to fill out a tentative budget form.
- The candidates have to merge all required documents into a single PDF file to be uploaded onto the Online Application Form.
Documents Required for CDC Scholarship 2023-24:
- An updated CV.
- Research statement for visit.
- An official invitation from the institution of the international research partner.
- Letter of recommendation from the international research partner or a statement from the host approving the research plan.
- A scanned copy of the PhD certificate.
- A signed and a stamped statement from the current employer.
- Budget estimation for the research program.
Abel Visiting Scholar Program Application Deadlines:
- August 31, 2022, for visits between January 1 and April 30, 2023
- December 31, 2022, for visits between May 1 and August 31, 2023
- April 30, 2023, for visits between September 1 and December 31, 2023